Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day two

WooWoo
Day two!
Good afternoon dears, another dreary day here.
(I'd say I hope the weather is better where you are but the 2 people who read this are in Maine and it's probably worse there...blah)!
So today I am going to post recipes for.
Kelsey's Super Fruit Salad
and
Bacon Spinach Filo(Phyllo) Triangles
YAY!

So again let's start with the easy one (easier) I should say because these are both pretty simple.
Fruit salad...my super fruit salad is sort of like ambrosia salad...except totally different and not nearly as disgusting. Don't get me wrong I love southern food and honestly I would put gravy on everything if I could but marshmallows in fruit salad really?!?!?! No, that's just awful!
Blah okay...

What you'll need:
12oz vanilla yogurt (I like Wallaby nonfat vanilla bean! best yogurt ever! Vanilla Greek yogurt also works well!)
1 tsp lavender water (if you can't find it try whole foods, if no luck chi tea syrup works well or rose water is sometimes easier to find)
1 cup of washed blueberries
1 cup if diced strawberries
2 kiwis peeled and diced
1 pear diced
1 cup diced cherries
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds (about 1/2 of the fruits worth)

All of the fruit should be washed and cut into about blueberry sized pieces. As with any salad feel free to use whatever fruits you like, I use these because they are my favorites I think they go well together I like to stay away from things like pineapple and banana because if they sit too long their flavors start to take over everything, and watermelon (and other melons) just absorb flavors. Ick.

Back to the recipe though, once all the fruit is peeled, washed, dried, and cut put it all into a big bowl and with clean hands mix it all up. In a small bowl mix the yogurt and lavender water, when that's all blended pour into fruit and mix it till the fruit is coated and Ta-Da! Serve chilled with granola or unsalted sunflower seeds on the side. Yummy!

Moving on, Bacon Spinach Filo triangles YAY! I Love filo dough or (phyllo) I am not sure which is right, I am pretty sure the correct Greek is Phyllo...anyways it's amazing! I also Love spinach I think it might be my favorite vegetable...maybe...yeah it is! hah! This is sort of a phyllo pizza and not a spanakopita, but it is totally yummy!

So what you'll need:
6 sheets of phyllo dough (if frozen thaw)
1 stick of butter salted and melted
1 pack of thick sliced bacon cooked (but not too crispy) and chopped
3 fresh sage leaves washed diced
1 cup drained canned spinach
a hand full raw baby spinach
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 and 1/2 cups Parmesan motzerlla shredded cheese blend (you know the Italian blend)
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
(you can also add onions, but I don't because I apparently say the word funny and Joe wont eat them...but they add a little extra flavor so if you can sat it correctly and like 'em go for it about 1/4 cup chopped will do)

Preheat the oven to 350. Butter a deep baking sheet (one that is at least 1inch deep) then carefully lay out phyllo, butter sheet with brush then add another do this until you are at the top layer, butter the top layer, and set aside in a cool place (meaning not on top of your oven!).
In a bowl mix both kinds of spinach, cheese, sage and about a pinch of the s & p, mix it all together. Get your sheet of dough spread the spinach mixture evenly on top (I think that using your hands works bets but if you don't want to get dirrrty use a regular table spoon) sprinkle the bacon, and tomatoes on top and add a little extra cheese if you want (I mean more cheese...why now!). Now bake for about 15minutes, sprinkle on the pine nuts. Bake about another 15minutes cheese should be melty, bacon should be crispy, pine nuts toasty and phyllo crispy! Let cool for 10-15 minutes cut into triangles and serve!

Okay 2 down and 3 to go!
Stay excited and stay tuned!

OH OH I almost forgot music today...how could I?!
So here is is:
Jenny & Johnny's album "I'm Having Fun Now"
The album is not out yet but it will be Aug 31 (my birthday, thanks guys!)
I am a huge fan of both Jenny Lewis and Johnathan Rice, so naturally I am so excited for this to come out...you'll love it so get it and listen to it when you eat fantastic brunch!

rainy days&junk
kj




No comments:

Post a Comment