Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I work too hard...

Not really.
So I know in my first post I sort or explained what this blog was going to be about, and if you read that you re probably confused because it's not at all what I said it would be...
Well there are a few reason for that,
The first being things and people change, and well that's just life
the second is that my interests cooking/ baking wise have changed
And last but probably biggest reason is that my life is very different than it was a year or so ago when I started this blog.
I am no longer living in a basement with my cat and a mixer, I live with 3 boys (well 4 if you include the cat), I work till 8pm every night and when I come home have to worry about sustainable dinners and not just cupcakes (as much as I would like to live off cupcakes it's just not practical and well Joe wont let me), so a few big life changes turned into a new blog with a little different subject matter.
But my dears no need to worry!
Baking is still my first love and I promise I will be doing more of it and writing more about it.
Whoopee pies, Rory's Gory birthday treat, Gift Baskets, Holiday candy and cookies are all things to look forward to!

That being said, I am going to post a quick dinner menu.
This is a super easy had a long day feeling lazy (by my standards) healthy dinner.

Grilled chicken sandwiches, and/or grilled tofu sandwiches
with roasted veggies!

The boys won't eat tofu, but I like it and I feel I have been eating way too much meat lately so...

For the chicken sandwiches:
1 chicken breast per-person (I guess that depends on how many sandwiches each person is having but since all my boys have been complaining about the recent weight gain I am only making one per-person). You want to trim all of the fat of the chicken and while you are doing that stab a few holes in the chicken, so the marinade soaks in, then trow the chicken in a baggy with Italian dressing put them in the fridge for 20 or so minutes, and make your roasted veggies.
(...crazy time lapse...)
Take out your chicken and grill it on the Foreman grill (if you don't have one you should! or you can use a normal grill). I like to use rolls from the Shaw's bakery, that have sesame seeds on them, and place them in the Foreman for a few minutes or so to warm them. To assemble the sandwiches (you can do whatever you want but if you bothered to read all this, my way is perfect sooo...) Put your grilled roll on a place smear a little spicy mustard on each side, place the chicken on one side cover it with a slice of cheddar cheese, and top it off with mixed greens and sliced tomato, scoop some of your roasted veggies on the plate and you're done, unless you're me and then it's never done, because there is a days worth of dishes to do! Sigh!

Roasted Veggies:

I am going to use zucchini, summer squash, beets, green beans, green pepper and a few red potatoes (because I need to use up whats sitting in the fridge). Wash all the veggies, cut the squash, zucchini, beets, and potatoes. Boil the potatoes for a few minutes to cook them, the beets too or used canned. Then put everything in a deep baking dish, pour some Italian dressing mix them so everything is covered, cover in tin foil and bake at 350-400, till you can easily stick a fork through them.

Tofu sandwich:

So I do the tofu just like the chicken, except for the fat trimming. So drain the tofu, put it in a baggie with Italian dressing and refrigerate, grill it on the Foreman and build the sandwich the same as the chicken one (except with the tofu not the chicken..duh).

It's not something sweet but it is something yummy!

enjoy&junk
kj





No comments:

Post a Comment